A Scribe for Period Five
April 4, 2007
1. Read to page 69 in 1984 by Friday
2. Work on Grammar Lesson 14:5-7
3. Continue to work on presentations for future 1984 fishbowl discussions
4. Continue to work on quizzes for upcoming presentations
Today in Class:
Staring today off, we went over our assignments and class schedule for tomorrow. Smith will not be with us in class tomorrow. Next, we took our first test over 1984. After completing the quizzes, we started up our first fishbowl over 1984( Hooray for the return of fishbowl discussions! ).
Some of the main points discussed in today's fishbowl:
1. What effect does the slogan "War is Peace, Slavery is Freedom, Ignorance is Strength" have on the society in 1984.
2. What effect does the slogan play against the ideas of the society?
3. What significance can Winston's dreams have?
4. How is the name "Big Brother" representative? Why would the people call their leader "Big Brother"?
5. Do the people in the society feel equal to Big Brother? Are they on the same level? What kind of figure does Big Brother serve?
6. What could be the purposes of the Two Minutes hate?
7. What are the strategies used by Big Brother?
8. What kind of propaganda has been used throughout the book, so far?
9. Why isn't the book 1984 written in Newspeak ?
10. Why wouldn't the people be able/allowed to think their own thoughts?
Reflecting on today's fishbowl:
Many excellent points were brought up in today's discussion. The conversation revolved mostly around the society in 1984 and the impact the government and Big Brother has had on the people of the society. Many thoughts about Big Brother serving as an actual brother figure in the story arose, as well as many ideas that the government may be scaring the people into submission by using the Thought Police as a fearful figure. Continue coming up with discussion questions, especially if your presentation is coming up soon!
1. I hope that this thoroughly satisfied everyone!
2. Have a super fantabulous evening--go outside and enjoy this amazing weather!
3. See everyone tomorrow!