Scribe for Period Two, April 16
Smith is back today!
Homework- Grammar Packet through 16
Bring in a political speech from the red-scare era—we will be converting it to ‘Newspeak’ tomorrow
Read pg. 167-224
We took the test from annaw, Kathrynt and saraC. It was hard but had very high level thinking questions. Good job guys, it was without a doubt better that Period 5’s quiz.
· We talked about how Julia is a rebel from the waist down—What does this mean?
Julia= Rebel without a cause Winston=Rebel with a cause
Is this true?
· Julia, although she wants the government to change, she doesn’t believe she has the power to change it. In order to change things you have to have the ambition, and she doesn’t have it on the large scale that she need it.
· Winston sees that he has to confront big brother head on against all the sayings.
· Why is Winston the only one who can remember the past, stuff like how the party didn’t actually invent airplanes?
· What is the significance of the memories that Winston has?
· Why would the Proles rebel against the government? They don’t really have that much of a reason to, because they are free and the government has only a small amount of control over them. What reason to they have to rebel?
· Why do we have proles and why do we have a party? You always have to have the good and the I don’t want to be that person. You are happy but you don’t want to be the other side.
· Human Nature- Do you have to have love to be a human? What separates animals from humans?
1. Read Ahead, there is a BIG section coming up!
2. Know when you are scribing and be sure to post on your day! (Not that we have any problems with that… I just thought period five would like to know.)
3. Get your schedule card ready and signed by all your teachers if you are planning to continue in that subject for; -Foreign Language, -Math -Any and all Honors classes
4. Period 2 will always be better than period 5. Always.