Friday, November 17, 2006

Period 2 This I Believe...

Last year a colleague had me listen to a segment on National Public Radio called "This I Believe". After hearing and reading some of the submissions as well as researching the history behind the segment, I was intrigued. I wanted to challenge my students to submit their own essays to NPR spending time writing rough drafts, editing, peer editing, and then finally submitting their polished draft to the station. I thought, how powerful for one of them to have their work published nationally. How powerful for all of them to know that their voices matter.

I gave this assignment to my ninth graders towards the middle of this semester and they really embraced the opportunity. I wanted the Honors kids to complete the assignment as well. After having them listen to my other ninth graders as well as listening and reading examples from online, they podcasted their own work.

What is so intriguing to me about this assignment is that these kids wanted to not just complete it, but to share the things they believed in with the world. They wanted to be in-charge of letting others hear what is important to them, what mattered to them.

Please listen to what matters to these kids...what is it they believe in? Feel free to leave constructive feedback for them, but please keep in mind that this is their first try as well as their teacher's. They are putting themselves out there. They are our future. Hear what they have to say.

Note: Click and drag on the scroll bar in the player below to see all the podcasts. It only displays eight at a time, but there are more if you scroll. You can't click above or below the scroll bar to move it up or down, you must click and drag on the scroll bar itself.


The Odeo Player only displays the first 20 podcasts - so here's a second player for the additional ones.

9 Comments:

Blogger BenH said...

Poor period 2. No one has commented on you guys!

Well, I will comment some. Overall you guys did a great job. All of the essays were great.

However, phillips, yours contained a factual inaccuracy. An overweight white boy is the average American.

Sat Nov 25, 09:04:00 PM  
Blogger Kjerstinl said...

Wow. These were really cool. Spectacular job everyone! :)

Sun Nov 26, 05:59:00 PM  
Blogger Alex_Manning said...

Im going to comment this to get credit if it is necessary, but I can't actually hear them. I don't have speakers.
So I'll say good job anyways.
Good Job.

Mon Nov 27, 05:59:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It was cool to hear what everyone believes. Everyone's essay is amazing!

Mon Nov 27, 07:31:00 PM  
Blogger BenH said...

I am proud of you alexm. I am glad you dont let things like a lack of speakers get in your way. That shows perseverance. A mastery of the art of listening without hearing.

Mon Nov 27, 08:59:00 PM  
Blogger KathrynT said...

I don't see my essay, but I know I recorded it and turned it in

Mon Nov 27, 09:36:00 PM  
Blogger Jim Gates said...

Class... I loved this assignment and I loved your contributions. I will be using this page when I try to convince other teachers of the power of the podcasts.

I listened to all of them and kept going back to be sure you are all in 9th grade. Be proud of this work - and count your lucky stars that you've got a teacher like ... is it Mrs Smith? I think every school around here blocks everything with that even HINTS of being a blog.

Good work!

Mon Dec 04, 03:53:00 PM  
Blogger Chris Champion said...

I'm a teacher and I am a regular NPR listener - a big fan of "This I Believe".

You guys did a fantastic job. There are those of us out there that really do listen to you. Thanks for the info.

Tue Dec 05, 01:07:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just listened to my This I Believe essay again for the first time since I recorded it, and I really don't like the sound of my voice as a recording, but as I already said before, it was cool to hear what everyone talk about what they believe in their own voice. It really makes the essays more interesting and personal.

Wed Dec 06, 07:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home